Monday, June 13, 2011

#2: Make Homemade Popsicles

After coming home last night to find a present (in the form of cat pee) on my bed, then accidentally dropping Fanne onto Dan's face in the wee hours (subsequently finding out that a large portion of his forehead was lost in the incident), and then receiving a courtesy call from Bank of America that someone had stolen my credit card and was making long distance phone calls, you could say that I wasn't necessarily in the best of spirits. I didn't let the bastards grind me down though, instead I took matters into my own hands and did something fun from my bucket list: I made popsicles.

I cut this recipe out of Whole Living magazine in 2008 and have somehow allowed 3 summers to pass without putting it to use—until now! I'm happy to report that there's a fresh batch of pineapple-cinnamon popsicles in my freezer right now. Since the recipe says to allow 6 hours for them to freeze, it's looking like they'll be ready just in time for breakfast too, which is perfect because you know what I always say: when life hands you lemons, eat popsicles for breakfast.

3 Frozen Fruity Pops Recipes (recipes and photo from Whole Living Magazine, June 2008)

For each recipe, combine the fruit, herb or spice, juice (if called for), and a dash of salt in a blender on high for 30 seconds, until smooth. Pour into Popsicle molds, and freeze for six hours.

Honeydew-Basil
Mix 4 cups of honeydew melon cubes (which contain potassium) with 1/4 cup of vitamin-K-packed chopped fresh basil and 1/2 cup organic frozen lemonade concentrate.

Pineapple-Cinnamon
For an exotic tropical pop, use 3 cups of pineapple chunks (known for anti-inflammatory properties), 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup fresh orange juice.

Mango-Parsley
Combine 1 ripe mango (an antioxidant powerhouse) and 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped parsley (a bad-breath fighter). If the mango isn't ripe, add 1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment