Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Joy of Detoxing-Week 2

Let me just say that Week 2 has been much easier than Week 1. As of Thursday, I introduced protein back into my diet in the form of fish, organic soy, and beans. Omg, feeling full after eating again—amazing. There have been some great recipes this week too, such as:

Scrambled Tofu With Collards and Tumeric

Spicy Black Bean Salad
Grilled Salmon and Bok Choy with Orange-Avocado Salsa
Breakfast Vegetable-Miso Soup with Chickpeas

Now, for those of you who are thinking that this cleanse sounds like a piece of cake (mmm...), let me just remind you that even though I get a few tasty meals here and there, I'm still abstaining from consuming all processed food and drink, dairy, added sugar, gluten, caffeine, and alcohol. Not the end of the world, but still quite the effort.

All in all though it's been going really well. I feel pretty good, my energy levels are decent (the protein has certainly helped), and I've been eating all of the right foods and none of the wrong ones. Well, until today at least...

My very talented brother Sean, a senior in high school, won a Gold Key and a Silver Key in the annual Boston Globe Scholastic Art Awards (follow the link to view his work that won). My family came up for the award ceremony this afternoon and suggested picking up a few pizzas from Pizzeria Regina afterwards to celebrate. Oh boy, here we go. Is it even possible to look at the most delicious pizza in the universe and not eat it? Maybe, but after toiling over the decision for the majority of the day, I decided to cut myself a little slack and have a slice. That's right, I cheated, and let me just say—it was awesome.

Yeah, I could have toughed it out, but hey, it was a special occasion, I haven't cheated at all until today (and I'm halfway through), and most importantly, it's Sunday, and Sunday is a legal cheat day during lent (my mom actually called the church one year to verify this). Don't worry though, I haven't abandoned ship. I used my one "Get Out of Detox Free" card and I'm back on track to finish out round 2 of this cleanse. I might even make myself eat the rest of the intolerable beet soup for dinner as a punishment...


WHOOPS...

No comments:

Post a Comment